Saturday, June 13, 2015

HERB SHRIMP PASTA IN A FOIL PACKAGE!!!


Hi guyssssss let's just pretend like this isn't my first blog post in two years ok? Alright Thanks

Sooooo the other day I was talking to  my cousin and talking about my favorite pasta recipe and she asked me to send her the recipe. As I was typing up the recipe I got really hungry and decided to actually make the dish, as I was about to make it, I said you know what? Let me make a blog post on it... and just like that I returned from bloggers abyss. and I think I am here to stay :D 

This herbed pasta is hands down one of my favorite dishes ever. it's quick and easy, and even though I used shrimp here, it can be made with any kind of meat or faux meat. Most importantly, it's a one pot meal (or one foil-packaged meal). It's great for a large group of people as well.. it's perfect for a weeknight, but elegant enough for a dinner party. I could go on and on, but let's get to the recipe. 

Ingredients: 
  • 1/4 cup of olive oil OR Herb Butter (I use Kerrygold Garlic Herb Butter; you can make yours )
  • 3 cloves Garlic, minced  ( you could use less, I love garlic)
  • 1 can (14 1/2 Oz.) of Italian herbed Diced Tomatoes (I use Muir Glen Organic)
  • 1/4 cup Dry White Wine ( i used Viognier  but you can use Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc OR you can substitute a 1/4 cup of Chicken Broth)
  • Jumbo Or Large Shrimp, Peeled And Deveined
  • Red Pepper Flakes (Optional) 
  • Fresh Parsley and Basil (PLEASE DO NOT USE DRIED) 
  • Oregano, Thyme and Basil (Fresh or Dried; I used fresh) (Optional) 
  • Pasta ( I used linguini, but could use any other thick bodied pasta) 
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • Foil Paper

Instructions

Items you'll need


SECRET INGREDIENTS!I honestly believe these two items make the dish standout. Any brand of can diced tomatoes will work. I used italian seasoned diced tomatoes. you can use plain if you want,  but I think the dish tastes better with the seasoned variety.  


Melt about 3-4tbs of butter or about 1/4 cup of Olive Oil)


As butter melts, add the minced garlic and allow all that awesome buttery garlicky goodness to cook for about a minute


Then add the entire can of tomatoes


Stir


Stir and then add 1/4 cup of wine or chicken stock (if using wine, it's advisable to use a wine you would drink, so as not to waste the rest of the bottle. I used Viognier, but you can always use Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay). Your kitchen is about to smell heavenly like the Food Network Test Kitchen.


To infuse the sauce with more flavor, I added a bunch of fresh herbs (oregano, basil and thyme) .. Cook this for about 10 mins or so (or until all of the liquid has dried up). You can use dried herbs as well.. but know that the flavors wont be as subtle as fresh herbs and obviously you can't take out the dried herbs.




Boil the pasta for a little less than half the recommended time (5mins if the box says 11mins).


After the liquid dries up I take out the herbs


You should be left with this


Then add the shrimp.


Add the Red Pepper Flakes. (You can skip this step if you do not like spicy food. I love INSANE amount of pepper, so for me the hotter the better. I mean a life without spicy food is not worth living. Anyway, I went HAM on the pepper.


Wait for the shrimp to release some moisture, then add salt and pepper to taste (NOTE: If you are using herbed butter, you may not need to add salt, as the butter is already is already salty)


Add the half-cooked pasta to sauce 


Toss together and taste. You may need to add more seasoning depending on how much residual pasta water enters the dish 


Add FRESH minced parsley/basil, drizzle some olive oil (or add some more butter) and toss together. Make sure everything is nicely coated 


Make your foil package ( I mean I gues you could use a foil pan, but who wants to wash an extra thing. if you do use a pan, make sure it's tightly sealed. 


Throw the contents of the entire pan into your foil contraption. make sure you pour in all of the juices


Seal tightly 


Throw it in a 350 degree oven for about 15mins.


AND FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER..........


VOILA..

I don't know what it is about this dish, but it always comes out great. The foil really does help seal in the juices and flavor and it's great for people like me who hate doing dishes. That's one less thing to wash. 

Open foil package right before serving. Serve warm. it goes great with your leftover bottle of wine. Enjoy :) 



*** Oh and as a sidenote.. if I ever compete on the amateur version of "Beat Bobby Flay", this is the dish I am making.. Well, either this or Boli (Roasted Plantain) and Fish.




No comments:

Post a Comment